Nov 28, 2007

Book Review by Barry Greer

Dear Blog friends,


Today I have a guest blogger. I have known this dear friend for 15 years. I have watched him through several phases of his life. Through all the ups and downs and ins and outs of life, Barry is an overcomer. He is a do-er and through perseverance of the truth and applying these truths, he is becoming a Christian that rests in the Lord. Barry is on the fast track to being what the Lord wants for his life.

Barry came to me a while ago and told me about the books he was reading. It was all about the classroom of Christ. He seemed more settled. There was an amazing calm over his tempestuous spirit. He was determined to do God's will by applying these practical truths. Here I present his "School of Obedience" recommended reading:



LIVING or EXISTING

Are you living or do you just exist? There is a difference. Jesus said of himself in John 14:6, “I AM…THE LIFE.” As creations made in the likeness of God, we are comprised of 3 parts: Body, Soul, and Spirit. Before salvation, we only utilize our body and soul. These make up the physical (the Son) and eternal (the Father) aspects of our existence. They determine the horizontal relationship between the rest of mankind and us. Since our spirits are dead in trespasses and sins (Eph. 2:1), we are missing the most important relationship that we can have, a vertical relationship with God. Until our spirit (the Holy Spirit) is made alive in Christ (Romans 6:11, 1 Corinthians 15:22), we just exist. Therefore, we can conclude that a person needs to be saved “to live”.

If not careful, even saints of God may find themselves in an “existing” mode by not fulfilling the very purpose that the Lord has created and saved them for. That is to love and serve the Lord Jesus Christ. This writer was saved on Dec.3, 2000, when turning to God from idols to serve the living and true God (1 Thess. 1:9). The quickening of spirit enabled me to live “the Christian life”. Unfortunately, 35 years worth of false philosophy and religion, or should I say “baggage” accompanied me at salvation. Pride and self-sufficiency were sins that were repented of that day, but are sins that need to be mortified on an every day basis (1 Corinth 15:31; Gal 2:20).

Bible preaching, bible reading, and prayer are so vital for us to live like Christ. God promises to conform us in the image of His Son, and will use the tools necessary to show us His will for our lives. The Apostle Paul knew this and incites us to read. The Bible yes, but also spiritual books in which godly men, who in their own right have learned important biblical truths and are giving testimony of them through the written page.

So from the writer to the reader, I would like to encourage you that the abundant life that the Lord speaks of is obtainable by all of us. I recommend the following tools to assist you in finding God’s perfect will for your life. They are “easy reads” (Believe me, I am not an avid reader, nor a “super saint”, only a man seeking God’s perfect will for his life).

If you are frustrated with the roller coaster ride of life, and are willing to take the time to read and apply the truths of these books, I can assure you that the Lord will use them in your life for His glory.


I personally read the books in the order given, and you’ll see why.

In 2 Chron 7:14, God commands us to humble ourselves. We may not understand all that is required in humbling ourselves, or how pride is manifested in our lives.

Book #1: HUMILITY by Andrew Murray. I was bed ridden from back surgery when I read this one. I had a lot of time to contemplate my proud, arrogant heart before a thrice-holy God.

Book #2: HUMILITY by Wayne A. Mack. This brother took a deeper and more personal look at humility and pride. I was so “in awe” of this book that I told my pastor, “It seems like every time that I open my mouth, pride comes out.” He then proceeded to instruct me with what I thought would be a magnificent biblical exegesis, but rather told me kindly to “just keep my mouth shut.” Wow! How humbling! With these two books, I had a better understanding of pride and humility. I now was in a better position for the Lord to show me this “life”.


Book 3: How to Live the Victorious Life by an Unknown Christian. The writer speaks of victory through surrendering all to Christ. But how do I surrender?

Book 4: The Surrendered Life by James H. McConkey. He speaks of how the only way one can be surrendered is through obedience. O-B-E-D-I-E-N-C-E, as the song states, is the very best way to show that you believe. As Christ learned obedience (Heb 5:8), we also must learn obedience. And where can we learn?

Book 5: The School of Obedience by Andrew Murray.

Beloved, if you seriously desire a change, I beseech you, as Paul to the Romans, to renew your mind and stop thinking that the life you now live is “just the way it goes”, and that “it can’t be better”. My friend, I can assure you, that through Christ alone, you will succeed in living the abundant life. Don’t just exist, apply these “life altering” truths for the glory of God.

For Christ,

Barry Greer

Jer 32:27

2 comments:

LFE, Barry said...

Let the truth be known About Bro. Randy. His life of "Rest" was and is a tremendous testimony to me.

I treasure his friendship, and kind words.

David said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog brother. I was reading through yours and really like the content. I too am a David Cloud fan. I'm putting a link to your blog on my blogroll (are you going to make a blog roll or links widget? Link love is cool :). Keep up the good work!

The Baptist Muse Topsites
eXTReMe Tracker